Joanna C. Valente

This week: Joanna C. Valente!

Joanna is one of the first poets that I have interviewed for The Writer's Pane. I tried my hand at poetry, but it was not successful - which is why I do admire poets. Dreamers and observers who can convey anything through their words. Take a look at Joanna's answers - as well as a link to one of her pieces! 


Name: Joanna C. Valente
Social Media: Instagram: @joannacvalente or Twitter:@joannasaid
Genre: Poetry, Fiction, Nonfiction


Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere! The question is, where don't I?

Which character in literature do you associate yourself with the most?
A more grounded Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.

Which piece of your writing was the most entertaining/enjoyable to write? Why?
Probably any of my pop culture poems, so "Ode to Meatwad," or "Nobody Cares About Skeeter Valentine."

Was the first novel you published the first you ever wrote? What was? 
Well, I haven't published a novel yet, but my first book of poetry, Sirs & Madams, was originally my undergrad thesis, so it was definitely the first poetry collection I ever wrote.

When I’m not writing I’m usually…
Outside in a park or in a museum or music show with friends and loved ones. I like being social.

If you could tell or ask any character in literature or film anything, what would it be? 
Mrs. Dalloway, why?

If you had lived a different life, made different choices, what would you be doing now? 
I would have become a therapist or psychologist. I suppose there's still time!

What are five things you couldn’t do without? 
Jazz, coffee, hugs, love, and chocolate. Poetry too.

What do few people know about you? 
I go to bed early a lot.

Are you working on any current projects?
So many! It's a lot to name, but some of them are "Baby Girl and Other Ghosts," "Werner Catzog," and "Men Tell Me Things About My Body."

What work of fiction made you want to be a writer?
A lot of things, but especially Mary Gaitskill.

What tools do you use for writing, organization, marketing?
Lots of to-do lists! My iPhone to take notes.

Why do you write?
Because I have to. I want to make connections and observations.

----
Author Bio: Joanna C. Valente is a human who lives in Brooklyn, New York. They are the author of Sirs & Madams (Aldrich Press, 2014),The Gods Are Dead (Deadly Chaps Press, 2015), Marys of the Sea (Operating System, 2017), Sexting Ghosts (Unknown Press, 2018), Xenos (Agape Editions, 2016), and the editor of A Shadow Map: Writing by Survivors of Sexual Assault (CCM, 2017). They received their MFA in writing at Sarah Lawrence College. Joanna is the founder of Yes Poetry and the managing editor for Luna Luna Magazine. Some of their writing has appeared in Brooklyn Magazine, Prelude, BUST, Spork Press, and elsewhere. Joanna also leads workshops at Brooklyn Poets.

Comments

Popular Posts