Kelly Simmons

This week: Kelly Simmons!

Kelly is a really interesting person - I recently had the opportunity to listen to her speak and loved her determination and passion for writing. Take a look at her answers to The Writer's Pane questions below. 



Name: Kelly Simmons
Social Media: Facebook: facebook.com/kellysimmonswriter
Twitter: @kellysimmons
Instagram: @kellyasimmons
Genre: Suspenseful Women's Fiction


Where do you find inspiration?
In a general sense,  I’m observant and curious about human behavior, relationships, etc.  More specifically, I’m drawn to real-life crimes and tragedies, some of which linger in the background of my mind for many years.  These things combine in a kind of stew that becomes dark literary suspense that’s all about family dynamics.

Which character in literature do you associate yourself with the most?
DNA reveals I’m a cross between Jo March and Harriet The Spy

Which piece of your writing was the most entertaining/enjoyable to write? Why?
There are sections of every book that are enjoyable – and aspects of each that are extremely painful! But generally speaking, first drafts need nothing but coffee; revisions require chocolate, potato chips, alcohol, and therapy.

Was the first novel you published the first you ever wrote? What was? 
I wrote 8 novels, and had three different agents, before I sold one.  The whole journey has been one of learning and persevering.  I’m learning still!

When I’m not writing I’m usually…
Marketing, dancing, doing yoga, or laughing.

If you could tell or ask any character in literature or film anything, what would it be? 
I would like to know what part of London Bridget Jones lives in, because I think she and I could be buddies.

If you had lived a different life, made different choices, what would you be doing now? 
I think if I’d finished college I might have worked as a television writer, supervised a writer’s room.

What are five things you couldn’t do without? 
My kids, my friends, my bike, my yoga mat, my noise-cancelling headphones.

What do few people know about you? 
That I had a very difficult childhood and adolescence.

Are you working on any current projects?
New book coming out in 2019, already getting early praise – WHERE SHE WENT.

What work of fiction made you want to be a writer?
VOX, by Nicholson Baker

What tools do you use for writing, organization, marketing?
I draft my novels using Storyist, and I like HootSuite to organize and schedule social media.

Why do you write?
Because I’m really not good at anything else, and I have the SAT scores to prove it.

----
Author Bio: Kelly Simmons is a former journalist and advertising creative director and the author of the novels Standing Still, The Bird House, One More Day, The Fifth of July, and coming next year, Where She Went. She’s a member of WFWA, the Tall Poppy Writers and The Liars Club, a nonprofit organization dedicated to mentoring fledgling novelists. She also co-hosts The Liars Club Oddcast, a weekly podcast interviewing top authors and discussing the craft and business of writing. More at kellysimmonsbooks.com

Comments

Popular Posts